What has happened since last time?
Happy new year!
Better late than sorry: we wish you the best for 2020! May this year be thrilling, joyful and full of good memories <3
With holidays, development has slowed, and we're getting back to it. But there have been exciting changes since our last blog post:
- Our navigation and player redesign was merged, after two months of work. If you're using the develop branch, you can enjoy a better navigation, with easier access to your personal content, and a mobile-first player and queue!
- We've also merged a first round of improvements to ourd content cards (the UI elements that represent artists, radios, playlists, albums, etc.), based on a proposal from @mjourdan
- We've rebuilt our search engine to use PostgreSQL full-text-search, which drastically improve performance, especially on slower hardware
- We've improved offline and mobile experience thanks to a contribution by Sporiff that makes Funkwhale a Progressive Web App.
- @Creak also stepped up to continue the work on a Desktop app, based on Electron, that was started by @Kaze 6 months ago. It's not ready yet, but it's promising!
What about podcasting?
We've continued our weekly meetings to design the podcasting/channels feature, and made a lot of progress. Implementation of the first screens should start next week, and focus first on the listener experience.
Funkwhale Community Spotlight
Our monthly interview for January was published yesterday. This time, we feature @Unklebonhead, who joined the podcasting working group in december!